As per our brief email last week, the Arbitrator awarded our final contract and as of last Wednesday, it is officially in effect. It has been a long road to get here, and this is a big cause for celebration!!
Attached to this post you will find a PDF contract information kit, including a short “highlights package”, as well as the full language of the contract in its entirety. We encourage you all to read it, especially if you haven’t been with us since the beginning, and may have missed some pieces of information.
Since there are likely to be many questions, we invite you all attend one of our two Q&A sessions:
When: Tuesday, February 5, 2019
Meeting 1: 12pm-1pm
Meeting 2: 4pm-5pm
Location: GSA commons
In the meantime, we will be working with the University HR on a timeline to implement new benefits and rights that are contained in this contract, including extended health and dental benefits, salary increases, and EI and CPP obligations. If you have urgent questions or concerns, please reach out to us at PSAC40004@gmail.com.
A huge thank you to everyone for their support in this, and to the members of the bargaining team, past and present. You are all amazing.
Bargaining team member
2019-01-21 info kit – u of sask pdfs
PSAC Local 40004 Postdoc Members
February 13, 2018
Your bargaining team met the employer two days negotiating your first collective agreement with the University. We made some progress on issues such as access to facilities, discipline, and duties and responsibilities.
While we have discussed most of our non-monetary issues, there are still a number of important outstanding items, such as ensuring that the employer is limited from using too many short-term appointments, and full recognition of the hours that members work.
This session, we tabled all of our proposals on monetary issues. You’re encouraged to read them. We are asking for, among other issues:
- Significant increases to the minimum salary for postdocs as well as reasonable increases in each year
- Access to a wide range of benefits: health and dental benefits, life insurance, the USask pension plan and personal and health care spending accounts
- Ensuring that CPP and EI apply to postdocs
- A professional development fund accessible to all postdocs
- Ensuring that postdocs are considered employees for all purposes
- Reasonable amounts of vacation and sick leave
- Numerous other leaves, including for professional development, bereavement, maternity, and for personal reasons
We will be back at the table in March, April and May. We will update you after each session of negotiations.
Please contact any member of your bargaining team if you have any questions or concerns. Our Local’s email is email@example.com
Your bargaining team:
Suelen M. Goes
Seth Sazant, PSAC negotiator